By Heidi Scheifley from Hollyhock: Garden to Table
Bran muffins shouldn’t be something you eat just because they’re good for you. The addition of ground hazelnuts adds a subtle nutty taste, but more than anything, they help create a moistness that is lacking in most bran muffins. A perfect vehicle for a slathering of butter and a smear of homemade blackberry or banana jam.
Ingredients – Makes 12
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tbsp blackstrap molasses
- 1-1/2 cups wheat bran
- 1/2 cup ground roasted hazelnuts*
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup cane sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 cup dried fruit or 1 cup fresh or frozen berries, optional
Continue reading Honey Kissed Hazelnut Bran Muffins
By Moreka Jolar from Hollyhock: Garden to Table
Do you think there’s no such thing as a foolproof pancake? Think again. These are substantial while remaining surprisingly light. They are easy to make gluten- and dairy-free, and tasty with just about anything on top, including maple syrup of course. Welcome to the pancake celebrity hall of fame!
Ingredients – Serves 4
- 1 cup cornmeal (also known as polenta)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk beverage (dairy or alternative such as soy or coconut milk)
- 2 tbsp melted butter or alternative (sunflower or coconut oil is great)
- 1/2 cup whole grain flour – wheat, spelt, of gluten-free flour mix
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen (or blackberries, huckleberries, or raspberries)
- Combine the cornmeal, salt, and honey in a medium bowl and whisk in the boiling water. Cover and allow to sit for 10 minutes.
- Beat together the eggs, milk, and butter. Whisk into the cornmeal mixture.
- Sift together flour and baking powder and stir gently into the wet batter.
- Spoon 1/3 cup (or less for baby pancakes) onto a hot oiled griddle or cast iron pan. Sprinkle a few berries onto each pancake. Cook on medium heat until the pancakes are speckled with little bubbles. Flip and continue to cook until the underside is lightly browned.
- Top with whatever you like, such as maple syrup, apple butter, fresh fruit, and/or yogurt. Eat immediately and without hesitation!