From Garden to Table, by Moreka Jolar, Heidi Scheifley, and the Hollyhock Cooks
Finally! This is the result of many years of hunting for the perfect Chai – with just enough spice to warm the gullet. It’s easy to make this Chai without dairy. The potent fennel falvor and undertones of cardamom will transport you right into the busy streets of Bombay. Or a Cortes Island potluck.
Ingredients – Makes 7 Cups
- 3 cups water
- 1 tbsp fresh ground fennel
- 2 tsp fresh groundcardamom
- 1 inch of fresh ginger root, sliced thin
- 4 cups milk (dairy or non-dairy alternative)
- 7 quality Assam tea bags
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- In a large saucepan, bring the water to a boil with the ground spices and ginger root. Continue to boil for 5 minutes.
- Leave the Chai on high heat while you add milk and tea bags.
- Bring just to a rolling boil before removing from the heat. Allow to steep for 2 minutes before straining the tea and spices.
- Add honey and vanilla.